Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I finally found time for this.

A Michigan wolverine has moved eastward to leave jagged teethmarks in the Big Apple. Watch out New York.

That rabid animal is me, WolverineDoc, a brand new first-year medical student who has lived the Manhattan life for a total of 10 days. I moved here from Ann Arbor to embark on a rugged journey filled with self-discovery, learning, maturity, and challenge.

I created this blog to chronicle my experiences and give myself some cathartic personal space. Hopefully, it'll bestow meaningful advice to future colleagues who are in medical school or on their way to medical school.

The name WolverineDoc has many meanings, the first being an effigy to the mascot of my alma mater, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. I, however, also value wolverines for their brute, exponential strength. They are about the size of a medium dog -- measuring 17-25 inches in length and weighing anywhere between 22 and 55 pounds; however, they've been known to hunt large moose and successfully fight off bears to defend their food. The wolverine has been described as "the fiercest creature on earth" and "a dangerous, fearless fighter."

Health care workers of today must also be fighters, especially in the United States. Daily, we're mauled by the jaws of insurance companies, new diseases, long lines, increasing costs, public policy issues, malpractice suits, etc. Future health professionals, like myself, must prepare to inherit this and continue to fight disease within a broken health care system that shows little promise of improvement.

I also consider myself a fighter. Everyone's journey to medical school involves challenges (coursework, MCAT, applications, interviews, etc.). My path to medical school, however, has been paved with hardships that venture beyond the scope of our organic chemistry lecture hall. As I post, I will spend more time to share those personal experiences. For the future, however, that fighter spirit must continue to ensure my success.

Hence, I must channel the wolverine's spirit and sinew to survive.

I've typed enough for now. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment