Monday, September 7, 2009

"Spring Fever"

I’ve never typed on a plane before...

I’m en route to New York City, after visiting my significant other back in Ann Arbor, Michigan, my former residence. I also visited a few friends, canoed, and copied a few opera CD’s.

My return evoked thoughts and settled uncertainties. In April, when I needed to decide between multiple medical school acceptances, I had the option to stay in Ann Arbor for medical school (and stay with my friends and family), yet I made a difficult decision to leave everything I knew for my current medical school for one overarching reason: New York City. To elucidate this desire, I will share what my friend showed me, a passage from Tom Sawyer Detective that describes “spring fever:”

“It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want--oh, you don't quite know what it is you DO want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! It seems to you that mainly what you want is to get away; get away from the same old tedious things you're so used to seeing and so tired of, and set something new. That is the idea; you want to go and be a wanderer; you want to go wandering far away to strange countries where everything is mysterious and wonderful and romantic.”

When I first read this, I recognized the symptoms of this “fever” immediately and realized that my move to New York alleviated such ailments. I needed this. Soon, I stopped regretting my move and started to embrace the uncertainty of change.

Speaking of change, it’s time to refocus my attention on the changing confirmations of proteins within the influenza virus before I land and face a long train ride back to Manhattan from Newark.

1 comment:

  1. You are an excellent writer. Your choice of words has made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete