Sunday, January 10, 2010

10,000

…the number of words one learns in their first year of medical school – from aortic aneurysm to zygapophyseal joint. That’s a lot of memorization!

In lecture, we learn the terminologies of anatomists, physiologists, biochemists, cell biologists, and geneticists. In our problem-based learning (PBL) sessions, we gain a command of Latin and Greek-based medical jargon – neoplasia versus hyperplasia; dysuria versus hyperuria; not to mention BUN, CBC, EENT, etc.

Juxtaposing this to learning a new language: we are immersed within the “culture,” learn what words “mean,” memorize, make flash cards, adopt a medical syntax for the new words, etc. Quite the concept, eh?

This adds to challenges of another personal goal: learning Russian. I have my reasons for doing so. Sometimes I get frustrated with my slow progress. (Я гаворю по русский не оцен хорошо!) I use Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur (both of which work well and I will comment on their effectiveness in future posts), and though I enjoy learning Russian, it is quite different from the French and Hebrew I’ve studied previously.

I must be patient. Learning two languages at the same time is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment