Monday, September 10, 2012

The Birthday Bike Ride of The Century

As a birthday gift to myself (my birthday is today), I decided to take on the NYC Century yesterday-- it's the cyclist's version of a marathon. 100 miles of pure bliss and blisters.


http://nyccentury.org/sites/all/themes/adaptivetheme/nyccentury_2012/css/images/century-logo.png
That day, we rode a total of 108 miles, which spanned four marvelous Burroughs of New York City: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx. From start to finish, our total ride took 12 hours-- including time for breaks and hydration-- thanks to a two-bottle hydration belt (below) I wore that enabled me to go for long periods without stopping. We rode along the ocean, through various parks, and across concrete bridges.


Before the race, I told friends, coworkers, and colleagues about the century, and I got mixed reactions: "How is that possible?" "Good for you!" "Are you sure you want to do that?" "I couldn't possibly do that myself." "You must have huge legs!" They focused on the idea of riding such a great distance.

However, I prided myself on choosing a goal and sticking with it until the end. It all started in June. I had dinner with a friend from church to celebrate his buying a brand new bike, at which I near-jokingly suggested that we ride 100 miles. Neither of us had done something like this before. We were both trying to get back into shape and lose weight. When we found out about the Century Bike Tour, we set our goal.


Then we trained. and trained. and trained. During our first bike trip around Manhattan, we covered an astonishing 33 miles, followed by a 45-mile trip up to Mount Kisko the following week. Our group grew. Another guy used an iPhone app to track our mileage and speed. I bought my first pair of  bike shorts, which left a stark tan line on my thighs a few weeks before the race. During my lunch break, I sneaked over to the gym for afternoon spin classes to strengthen my legs and keep up my endurance. 

After months of prep, I made it across the finish line at 110th street and Lenox Avenue-- and I wasn't last!

It forces me to reflect on other goals in progress: losing 20 pounds by Christmas, reading 10 books before the New Year, become a doctor. Yes, that medical journey is still in progress and doesn't show signs of stopping. I intend to cross that finish line soon.

1 comment:

  1. Good on you, Kevin! I consider myself lucky to be able to do my 13-1/2 mile commute regularly (in decent weather). I can't imagine a century, though I do want to get up to that level. Keep it up - you are one success after another. -- Donald.

    ReplyDelete