Thursday, July 29, 2010

Bike Challenge

You can always count on two things: family and connections. A nice doctor from KCMC connected me with a bike provider. Suddenly, my bliss knows no bounds.

Isn’t she pretty? She was placed in my care for love and good keeping for my last few weeks, and on the first day, daddy felt obligated to take this baby for a test spin around the block.

However, it wasn’t easy. During our maiden voyage, I realized that we weren’t living next to a mountain for four weeks; we were already on one. The roads either sloped downward in a crazy-fun death spiral or climbed painstakingly upward. At many points I had to stop and walk until I regained my breath.

How do I overcome this? Was the seat too low? Was I that out of shape? Is Moshi, Tanzania bike un-friendly? As I rode upward, I looked over and caught a glimpse of a 19,334 foot-tall friend in the distance. It finally decided (after a week) to poke it’s head out of the clouds. I was able to capture it from the seat of my bike.

That’s when I realized that climbing this hill will require more than a seat adjustment; it will require an attitude adjustment. I plan to keep riding this path as often as I can until I can make it up the hill without having to stop.

Then, a new challenge was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment