Monday, July 26, 2010

Simple Pleasures

When one settles in an unfamiliar culture in an unfamiliar country (especially a developing country), he or she finds refuge in simple pleasures to help with homesickness.

A popular source of refuge for me involves food – lots of food. In a sea of beans, rice, ugali, chili sauce, and mangos, I appreciate the opportunity to have a hamburger once in awhile – or even better… waffles and ice cream!

They sell this at a coffee shop down the road from our house. What I’ve really enjoyed about this particular dish is the richness of the waffle. They must put some form of cream or cool whip in their batter to make it extra thick. Yes, it is more expensive than the beans and rice we could have purchased (though still cheaper than New York prices), but tasting the comforts of home is worth the money!

Furthermore, what’s a lazy weekend afternoon without a nice, long run to remind you of home! In New York, my running paths took me either to Central Park or to the East River. Here, my running paths always take me to see Mt. Kilimanjaro among a sea of sunflowers, which makes it worth the sweat, fatigue, and panting.



The girls, on the other hand, have found their refuge in tea – for good reason. Most nights are often spent enjoying several cups of hot tea and a good novel. Par chance, I visited an attending physician’s house and spied his collection of Sex and the City DVD’s. I knew the girls in the house would enjoy a marathon of Seasons one through seven. I had only seen a few episodes, but seeing New York City again (even if its on a fake TV show) appeals to me. This is the third week of our marathon.

I don’t want to go back and start school!

1 comment:

  1. Waffles ....yummy! Reminds me of our trip to Key West!
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete