Monday, November 2, 2009

Freshman 15

…describes a debilitating malady many undergraduate college first-years experience: gaining 15 pounds (or more!) in one’s first year of school. Sadly, this afflicts med-school first years as well.

I was warned. I’ve heard the stories, the complaints, the symptoms; hence, I’ve treated the freshman 15 as if it were the flu. I watch myself closely for signs of manifestation. I try protecting myself with diet and exercise, yet there’s only so much I can do. The symptoms have recently started to appear. Though I don’t weigh myself, I see slight changes in my torso. My stomach isn’t as flat as it used to be. I feel out of shape and less physically attractive. It’s freaking me out!

I realize the increased workload eats away my exercise time, so I've biked and ran less. The stress and sleep deprivation fuel my hunger for sweets, chocolate, and carbs. The lack of free time also prevents me from cooking healthier meals. I feel more compelled to save time by buying the cheapest, fastest food (usually pizza).

I also realize these are mere excuses, but it all comes with adjusting to a new lifestyle in a new environment. I’m now trying to find more efficient ways of incorporating physical activity into my life (i.e. taking the stairs, walking longer distances, etc), and ways to keep sweets, carbs, and sugar out of my life (buying the salad instead of the burger). Such commences my battle of the bulge.

In fact, yesterday, I biked 7 miles to Brooklyn to study at a coffee shop and biked 7 miles back. Now I'm off to the gym…

No comments:

Post a Comment