Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wear and Tear...

As week 10 comes around and my seven-week preceptor session draws to a close, I find myself overwhelmed by the medical field – with all the drugs, diseases, signs, symptoms, tests, procedures, policies, paperwork, and patients. This craziness comes from the sea of information from my basic science classes and leaked into my “how to be a doctor” class that day, after which, I traveled to my preceptor’s office with several depressing and self-deprecating thoughts in my mind: How do doctors handle all this medicine drama? Can I handle all this? Am I a complete idiot? Should I quit medical school and join the circus?

After sharing these serious concerns with my preceptor, he suggested that I was being too hard on myself. Most students start medical school knowing very little, so an inferiority complex can easily develop. They feel as if every other student knows more material, studies more hours, drinks more coffee, etc. The stress is on, yet my preceptor assured me that I will learn everything I need to know to treat my patients. For that, I am grateful to have such a supportive preceptor.

Now it’s time for me to drink more coffee, so I can study more hours and learn more material.

No comments:

Post a Comment