Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Crazy Idea

I have a fantasy; let me disclose it to you. I want to circumvent Lake Victoria and visit the surrounding cities.

This desire probably stems from my admiration of road tripping – traveling on the go. Also, as a person who grew up near the Great Lakes in Michigan, I hope to see this “other” great lake they keep talking about.

My dream trip will probably go something like this (click on the photo for a better quality):

Day 1: Take a bus from Moshi, Tanzania (Point G below) to Nairobi, Kenya (Point B), get a hotel, and experience its infamous nightlife.
Day 2: Explore Nairobi during the day and learn more about its blossoming art scene
Day 3: Take a bus to Kisamu, Kenya (Point C) and see Lake Victoria for the first time.
Day 4: Take a bus into Uganda and travel to Kampala (Point D), it’s capital city – also known as the “Pearl of Africa” (courtesy Winston Churchill).
Days 5, 6, & 7: Meet up with a two medical school friends and explore Kampala. Also, visit Entebbe (on the cost of Lake Victoria) and Jinja (where the Nile begins). We’ve discussed the possibility of white water rafting!
Day 8: Via bus, trek around the western edge of Lake Victoria into Tanzania to Bukoba (Point E).
Day 9: Travel to Mwanza, Tanzania (Point F). In lieu of a bus as indicated on the map, I intend to take a cross-Lake-Victoria ferry.
Day 10: Set off on the final branch of the trip: a 12-hour bus ride back to Moshi, exhausted and gratified.

Because transportation is often unpredictable, who knows if this plan will work or how long it will take, but I can’t give up the prospect of visiting all these cities.



However, there is a caveat. I will most likely do the traveling alone…

1 comment:

  1. Go for it! Sounds like a wildly fantastic crazy idea.

    (And, if you've ever got problems with insects on your skin, you might dry "dust-bathing," too. I suppose there are other uses, but that's the one I've heard of.)

    --Diane

    ReplyDelete