Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Research Failure

When I decided to work at KCMC in the Obs and Gyn department, it was with the expectation that I would assist with an ongoing research project that assesses methods to prevent mother-to-child HIV transmission. In New York, if a new mother is HIV positive, we would just encourage her to avoid breastfeeding her child (which can transmit HIV) and use a formula for her child instead. However, in a developing country like Tanzania, one can’t guarantee a stable, clean water source with which the mother can make formula. Hence, the mother risks transmitting fatal diseases, like cholera, from the potentially-polluted drinking water – especially if the infant’s brand-new immune system lacks the antibodies necessary to ward off these diseases.

To prepare, I’ve read a few studies from Malawi and Botswana that discuss the usage of prophylactic HIV medications to prevent the mother from transmitting HIV to the infant with good rates of success. I was hoping to participate in a similar study at KCMC, but to my dismay, I was informed that no such project exists anymore at KCMC! I must’ve come too late. When I asked about other research projects in the OB/GYN department (including the famous Pre-Eclampsia/Eclampsia project), they either have already been completed or were awaiting approval. I was in shock. My classmates, also hoping to assist with some sort of research project, experienced similar disappointments.

Now, I’m considering the possibility of spending six weeks shadowing physicians, which isn’t unappealing. The staff and faculty of the OB/GYN department have been really helpful. One physician offered to give lectures on important topics in OB/GYN.

I could also use the spare time to conduct research of my own in the library. Giant obstetrics, surgery, medicine, and physiology textbooks await.

Now, I'm updating this blog on real time. I go for a four-day safari tomorrow. Can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying your "travelblog." Want to hear all about a safari!

    Hope you and your colleagues find ways to engage and learn more about the women's health issues you thought you were going to be researching. Meanwhile, OB/GYN is fascinating from whatever aspect you are able to participate and learn, and certainly a primary contact point for HIV/AIDS education and prevention. There's got to be something meaningful you can be helping with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DJ! I will write all about the safari shortly... Currently, we've discovered ways of assisting by just learning and gaining knowledge about the developing world to take back. Hopefully we can find out more things we can do over here.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete