Sunday, July 25, 2010

Part Two: Serengeti National Park



Siringit = endless plains in Massaai. 14,763 square kilometers of endless plains grazed by tens of thousands of wildebeest during their annual migrations. We visited during the dry season (June to November) and easily spent two days here. Every tree, animal, cloud reminded me of the movie the Lion King. I’m not sure why they don’t sell it at the gift shops here.


Our first animal of the park: the superb starling. The metallic blue-green feathers caught my attention. However, I saw hundreds of them over the next two days, and the novelty wore off.

More elephants. We spied another grazing herd move through the plains. I adored the proximity.

More acacias. They never get old.


We arrived at our campsite for the night and caught the sunset while fighting off mosquitoes. Also, a hyena paid a visit to our campsite during the night. My classmates were worried, but I slept through the entire thing.

We arose early enough to see the sun rise and spy a few more animals. We saw lions from afar, though we saw most of them the following day at Ngorongoro Crater.

No comments:

Post a Comment