Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Year Going On Third.

Excitement. I’m preparing to present my first patient (and her newborn) during the daily morning report.

In lieu of my research failure, I’ve taken the opportunity to learn as much about Obstetrics and Gynecology as I can on the wards. I’ve watched many surgeries, seen many patients, and read many textbooks.

I’ve been reading the “First Aid for OB/GYN” – the bible for third-year students rotating in the OB/GYN department. I’m attempting to turn my “shadowing” experience into a mini third-year rotation, where I actually get involved. I can’t tell you how gratifying it is for your attending to mention the types of abnormal vaginal bleeding, which you have already studied a few days earlier.

Without formal training, I can’t do most tasks like IVs, blood draws, cleaning wounds, etc. However, two weeks ago I was allowed to scrub in and assist the surgeon with surgery. It was an abdominal hysterectomy and my first time touching a uterus. The entire experience filled me with excitement as I assisted the surgeon clamp, cut, and sew.

Yesterday, I was allowed to assist in a cesarean section for the first time. After observing a few (and years of hearing the story of my own cesarean birth), the speed of the procedure took me by surprise. The cutting didn't elapse as long as the anesthesia. After a few minutes of cutting and some blood-splattered scrubs later we were able to deliver a healthy baby boy amidst a sea of meconium, blood, and amniotic fluid.

It was both amazing and disgusting at the same time. I have joined the club of those who have placed their hands inside the uterus of a woman he or she didn’t know (though I did know her vital signs).

After the delivery, the hard part began. The surgeon delivered the placenta, and we both started the process of cleaning, patching, and sewing. After we finished and both patients were transported to the right places, I got the third-year honor of presenting this patient to the rest of the OB/GYN staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment